The Promise of God vs the Promise of Bush

The recent highly embarrassing revelation (well for the US and the UK governments anyway who will have to explain to their people what on earth they have been doing in Afghanistan for the past ten plus years) that a leaked US military report says that the Taliban are confident that they will achieve victory in Afghanistan, reminded me of a rare  interview with the Taliban leader, Mullah Omar, from September 2001.

Mullah Omar was interviewed by the Voice of America and he was asked what he thought about the US’s recent declaration of a ‘war on terrorism’. He responded:

I am considering two promises. One is the promise of God, the other is that of Bush. The promise of God is that my land is vast. If you start a journey on God’s path, you can reside anywhere on this earth and will be protected… The promise of Bush is that there is no place on earth where you can hide that I cannot find you. We will see which one of these two promises is fulfilled.

The interview can be read here.

This entry was posted in Government, Islam and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Promise of God vs the Promise of Bush

1. David Anti-theist. says:

How can you claim to love science yet you deny all reason by imagining there are gods?
    I know how hard it is to go against the sheer terror of religious indoctrination from childhood, but reason must triumph rubbish. Adulthood’s freedoms come at the price of responsibility.
    The universe is nearly 4 billion years old, it’s too hard to imagine, but clearly it makes the idea of any gods, a simple nonsense. Do gods decide who dies from cancer or malaria, or a terrorist bomb,or an oppressor’s bullet? Is one god better than another?
    Religions are the province of devious old men who claim some kind of mysticism and they do this by instilling fear into weak minds.
    Religions have NO basis in truth or fact.
    Morality is the province of the moral, not the religious.

• aminriadh says:

“The universe is nearly 4 billion years old, it’s too hard to imagine, but clearly it makes the idea of any gods, a simple nonsense.”

You do know that the above statement of yours could be considered as a logical fallacy. Else how does the universe being 4 billion years old – clearly make the idea of God nonsense?

“Do gods decide who dies from cancer or malaria, or a terrorist bomb,or an oppressor’s bullet? Is one god better than another?”

I think you are having trouble grasping that concept of deity i.e. a creator is a singular concept. Private individual god doesn’t matter – in an argument such as yours.

“Science liberates us from falsehoods,and gives us the joy of taking responsibility.”
      Nonsensical statement. What does this “gives us the joy of taking responsibility.” even mean?

“You do yourself a great disservice by following such falsehoods,though I do understand the penalty for apostasy is death. I’d be scared too.”

Not last time I checked.

2. Brendan says:

David, you seem to know everything, be careful or you may accidentally start a new religion with your good-self as the supreme leader!

3. David Anti-theist. says:

Apostasy is punishable by death- what part of that do you deny? Try contacting a few brave souls who have had the courage to deny islam. Would you like the link? Do you read the foreign press?
    You fail to understand as I stated-the passage of time,which makes things evolve.
    The randomness of this precludes any kind of plan-there is simply no need to make up a religion-why would you try to make sense of things by making up a story?
    It’s very hard to get your head around this,but just take a look at the last 50 years or so-diets have improved in the first world and people have evolved-stronger,taller and with long life expectancy. Science does not make things up- V=IR it’s not a guess,or ridiculous posit by some silly old man. Evolution is fact, religion is NOT fact or truth.
    Sorry you don’t understand what I mean about the joy of taking responsibility,but next time you are ill,or need to travel, try praying to your god, because evidently the works of science are superfluous. The belief in gods is not only a denial of personal responsibility it denies the joy of truth and reason.
    I wish you well with figuring things out.

4. David Anti-theist. says:

I almost forgot-the article above- well we know how that turned out. The obscene drivel this man spouts is not only wrong it is a lie. By claiming he knows what his ‘almighty god’ is thinking surely he is a blasphemer and should therefore be sentenced to death.
    Easy to make claims with no substance,and when they turn out to be shallow lies how does he answer that? Taliban are just a pawn, and they suffer pointless deaths in their hundreds. However when they win hearts and minds by beheading children in front of the whole village,they have a forceful argument.
    They are welcome to Afghanistan, I feel sorry for anyone who is living in that miserable place-if that is what people believe gods have in mind for humanity,then I rest my case.

5. David Anti-theist. says:

I have no connection with thiswebsite, but I don’t think this is anything other than the truth,as reported. Ultimately I don’t think any religion comes off well- priests abusing children etc.I want decent humanity, equality and compassion-the very things religions are supposed to be about.
    I don’t want a hate campaign,religionists should hate themselves for their wicked deeds.

6. David, Anti-theist says:

Interesting programme on BBC last night, about Luton it just showed how appalling those ‘believers’ are.
    They might wish to live in a muslim country and enjoy the fruits therein- oh but wait democracy means freedom from corruption,dictators,child abuse,daily sectarian violence, and yet provides a welfare state,and equality for all people-even nasty hate preachers.
    Try that in Afghanistan,Pakistan,Iran,Iraq,libya,Egypt,Syria,Jordan the list is too long and boring